Are you a student of school who does not enjoy writing a compare and contrast essay? Do not worry! Following 6 steps will tell you how to write a compare and contrast essay.
- Careful Examinations of the Texts: You cannot write a well-composed compare and contrast essay without reading the requirements. You will be able to make notes by comparing the two things about which you have to write your essay.
- Making a List of Similarities and Differences: When you have carefully examined the two things, then you should jot down the similarities and difference between the two things or texts. Just write down whatever comes to your mind.
- Isolation and Transformation: It is time for you to select points that are most importantly similar and different. This will help you create a compelling essay. Pick the points that are central to the identity of both pieces of work and transform the points that you have gathered to words.
- Writing the Outline: You should breakdown your essay in points or create an outline to set the flow for your essay. Generally, a compare and contrast essay has to be of 6 paragraphs in length. You will start your essay with the introduction that will be the first paragraph of your essay. Introduction will give readers ideas about the 2 things that you are going to compare. Body of your essay will be composed of four paragraphs where you will write about the similarities and differences between two things in detail. In the concluding or last paragraph, you will restate your thesis statement.
- Filling the Details: Once you have made the outline, then writing an essay only requires you to support your points with evidences from the pieces of work that you have read. The key here is to convince your audience and teachers to accept your arguments. You should fill in the details in your essay to successfully compare two things and provide differences between two things.
- Edit: The last part to write a perfect compare and contrast essay is to edit your essay. You should proofread your essay to make your essay error-free. Look for spelling and grammatical mistakes in your essay, and correct the mistake if you see it. When you have proofread the essay yourself, then show your essay to someone else and ask that person to proofread the essay for you. Sometimes, we fail to notice things that others do notice; therefore, it is assertive to take help of others for proofreading.
Writing a compare and contrast essay is a daunting task, but you can write it if you breakdown your essay into sections. Do not forget to visit the library to find similarities and differences between the two things about which you have to write your essay.